Throughout elementary college, my Mother and Dad would generally neglect to place lunch cash into my account. So on the times I couldn’t get a sizzling lunch, the lunch women would supply me a easy tuna sandwich. Again then, I really despised tuna so I’d skip the sandwich and go hungry till I might get residence and stuff my face with one among Dad’s scrumptious turkey sandwiches. Unhappy, however true.
I look again on this reminiscence and take into consideration how I want I had the style buds of an grownup as a baby as a result of lately I discover myself LOVING tuna. From honey mustard apple tuna salad to jalapeño cheddar tuna melts, I can’t get sufficient of the cheap, protein-packed wonderful taste that tuna brings to meals.
A few years again my bestie and I have been speaking about conventional recipes that we had rising up that could possibly be made somewhat bit higher for you. She instructed that I make a wholesome tuna noodle casserole, as that was one among her favorites rising up. So I gathered up my reusable luggage, headed to Dealer Joe’s, threw round my tiny crimson cart like a girl on a mission and crammed it to the brim with plantain chips (hello, I’m obsessed) and scrumptious components for this wholesome tuna noodle casserole.
What’s in tuna noodle casserole?
If you happen to haven’t had tuna noodle casserole earlier than, then you definately could be questioning what the heck it’s. Conventional tuna noodle casserole is made with cream of mushroom soup, egg noodles, peas and naturally tuna. Most individuals prime it with breadcrumbs and even potato chips for a crunchy topping. It’s creamy, savory, and completely scrumptious!
All the things you’ll must make a more healthy tuna noodle casserole
I say, why not make tuna noodle casserole from scratch with higher for you components? My recipe is more healthy, customizable and doesn’t contain any canned soup. Plus it’s EASY! To make this wholesome tuna noodle casserole recipe, listed here are the components you’ll want:
- Pasta: be at liberty to make use of any sort of noodles you’d like. I desire shells, giant elbow noodles, or bowties for this recipe. In case you are gluten free, please be at liberty to make use of your favourite gluten free noodles.
- Butter: somewhat goes a great distance in serving to taste and break down the onions and mushrooms, but additionally to make a slurry parmesan gravy sauce to coat all of the pasta
- Veggies: we’re including white or yellow onions (I discover that white onions are greatest on this recipe), sliced child bella mushrooms, and peas on this recipe.
- Herbs & spices: you’ll additionally want garlic powder and thyme, which creates a tremendous depth of taste and savoriness on this recipe.
- Flour: you should utilize all objective flour, complete wheat flour or an all objective gluten free flour within the sauce. Coconut flour and almond flour won’t work.
- Milk: you may have the choice of utilizing no matter milk you’d like. I’ve solely examined this recipe with unsweetened almond milk, however I feel skim milk or unsweetened cashew milk would work properly.
- Cheese: parmesan cheese creates the right quantity of sharp taste melted into the sauce.
- Tuna: you’ll want two cans of tuna for this recipe. Be sure you drain the cans earlier than including the tuna to the casserole!
- Breadcrumbs: I nonetheless saved the scrumptious crunchy topping as a result of who doesn’t love crunch? In case you are gluten free, be at liberty to make use of gluten free breadcrumbs, gluten free potato chips which have been crushed up, or gluten free crushed crackers (Easy Mills crackers could be delish!).
Doesn’t it look down proper FABULOUS? I used to be so elated about this tuna noodle casserole that I just about saved all the pan to myself for all the week, I reheated leftovers for lunch and dinner and wolfed up each final chew.
SO FREAKING GOOD. AND CREAMY. AND SAVORY. AND HOMEMADE! AND HEALTHY too. What extra might you need?!
Customise your tuna noodle casserole
This straightforward tuna noodle casserole is nice for customizing to your style preferences as properly! Right here’s what I can suggest:
- Select your veggies: for those who’re not a mushroom fan, be at liberty to skip and add one thing like inexperienced beans or spinach as a substitute. I feel peas are a MUST on this dish, however you may also skip them for those who’d like.
- Make it gluten free: be sure to do is use gluten free pasta noodles, gluten free all objective flour and gluten free breadcrumbs (or substitute crushed up gluten free tortilla chips, potato chips or crackers).
- Go dairy free: merely use vegan butter, a dairy free milk of selection and dairy free parmesan cheese.
Freezer-friendly tuna noodle casserole
That’s proper, this lightened up tuna noodle casserole is simple to make forward of time and freeze for later! If you wish to make this tuna noodle casserole forward of time, merely:
- Make the recipe as directed, besides don’t bake the casserole.
- Put the casserole right into a freezer container pan reminiscent of these, cowl the container, then place it within the freezer till able to bake.
- As soon as able to bake, thaw out the casserole within the fridge in a single day. As soon as thawed, bake as directed!
Extra wonderful consolation meals
Get all of my scrumptious consolation meals recipes right here!
If you happen to make this wholesome tuna noodle casserole, make sure to price the recipe under and depart a remark! It’s also possible to comply with me on Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen. Take pleasure in – xo!
Wholesome Tuna Noodle Casserole
If you happen to’re searching for a wholesome tuna noodle casserole comprised of scratch, look no additional. This lightened up tuna noodle casserole is made with a creamy, however mild parmesan mushroom sauce, noodles, canned tuna and peas. You will fall in love with this straightforward dinner recipe that is certain to change into a perpetually favourite!
dry pasta shells (or use rotini, fusilli, or no matter pasta you’d like)
white onion, diced
child bella mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to style
all objective flour (or complete wheat flour or all objective gluten free flour)
unsweetened almond milk (or cashew milk or common milk)
grated parmesan cheese
cans tuna, drained
- Salt and pepper, to style
- For the topping:
breadcrumbs, gluten free if desired
Preheat your oven to 350 levels Spray a 2-quart baking dish or 9×9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or grease with olive oil or butter.
First boil the noodles till al dente, in keeping with the instructions on the bundle. As soon as accomplished cooking, drain and put aside.
Cook dinner your mushrooms: Place a big pot over medium-high warmth and add in 1 tablespoon butter. As soon as butter melts, add within the mushrooms, onions, thyme and salt and pepper. Stir often till mushrooms and onions are cooked down about 4-6 minutes. Switch to a bowl.
In the identical skillet you cooked mushrooms, add in 2 tablespoons of butter and place over medium warmth. As soon as butter is melted, whisk in somewhat little bit of the flour after which slowly add in milk, somewhat bit at a time, alternating with the flour and vigorously whisking away any lumps. Convey combination to a boil, then scale back warmth and simmer for a couple of minutes stirring once in a while, till the sauce thickens up. If it will get too thick, add in ¼ cup extra milk.
As soon as thick, flip off the warmth and stir in garlic powder, parmesan cheese. salt and LOTS of freshly floor black pepper.
Stir in cooked noodles, mushroom and onion combination, drained tuna and peas. Season once more with salt and pepper, to style. Pour combination into your ready baking pan.
In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle breadcrumb combination on prime of casserole and bake for 20-Half-hour. Serves 6.
How one can make dairy free tuna noodle casserole: If you wish to make this tuna noodle casserole dairy free, I recommend utilizing vegan butter, a dairy free milk of selection and dairy free parmesan cheese.
How one can make gluten free tuna noodle casserole: This tuna noodle casserole can simply be made gluten free too! All you will want to verify to do is use gluten free pasta noodles, a gluten free all objective flour and gluten free breadcrumbs (or substitute crushed up gluten free tortilla chips, potato chips or crackers).
Servings: 6 servings
Serving measurement: 1 serving (primarily based on 6)
Saturated fats: 6.8g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This put up was initially printed on September tenth, 2019, and republished on April 18th, 2022.